Sunday, October 21, 2012

Details


I love how this Bubble map came out! Each week we have a Special Person of the week.  This week Patrick was the Special Person. Making a map with adjectives can be very challenging with kindergartners. We talked about different things we knew about Patrick, and I helped with some of the word choices. 

The goal was to think of describing words.  We worked together to make Patrick with detail. We looked at his hair color, skin color and what he was wearing. I hope to build a bank of words that we can use for the Special Person Bubble map.



Learning About Details

Who Could It Be?
Learning About Details
Who Could It Be?

Creating this Bubble map was a fun way to learn about details.
I modeled this lesson by drawing a child in the audience trying to make as many details as possible. I started by making the skin color and hair color. The students thought about who it could be by the clues given.

I could be drawing with short dark hair. Next I made the shirt. I picked a child with a stripped shirt that stood out. The class got the idea that you want the picture to look like the person. At Daily 5 time, this was a  writing choice. I let students pick anyone in the class to do. On a different day, I whispered a classmate's name that they had to do. We also did this with a partner.


I plan to keep doing this lesson because I can see that the more they do it, the better the pictures are coming out. The kids LOVE guessing who it is too!! My next move is to give the students objects in our classroom. You can get the template below.


click here for sheet



3 comments:

  1. Great for connecting attributes & using attribute blocks in math. I also thought your interview book for the "star" was such a wonderful way to honor the student and tie in language and writing. (via your class blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see how kids would love this!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...