Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Halloween in KC

At group time, we are starting to write the poem I Knew It Was Halloween this was the same format we used for I knew it was Fall. We have been reading so many Halloween books that have such great language that I decided to create an Alphabox (Linda Hoyt).
The first reading is always for the enjoyment. We often go back on the second reading and talk about WOWwords. Creating this Alphabox has fun. This morning we added more words, and I read all of the words in a Halloween playful way, and it sounded like a poem. You can see above that I also have the class make a little picture that will go with the letter. Whenever I add a word to a letter box the class keeps track of the letter with the most words.

I LOVE  this Halloween book! 
The language is beautiful.


Learning About Story Endings
We are learning that stories can end in many different ways.
During story time, we are tally marking how the story ends. 
I blogged about story endings last year. This year, I set this up a little differently. You can see the top has the different ways a story can end, and the bottom has a Post-It to keep track. I cut an extra big Post-It in half.

We are doing the play to the BIG PUMPKIN. I just had a few students make an illustration. You can get a copy below.
Click Here
We made bumpy pumpkins. I blogged about this last year,  you can click here to get to the link. I LOVE this lesson. This year I made them bigger. The kids cut out a big bumpy pumpkin. We painted the scraps green. I had students paint their pumpkins, and we shared all the scraps to paint green. On a different day, we added the eyes, mouth, and teeth. Lastly, we added the green stem and grass.







3 comments:

  1. I like your Halloween Alphabox!!! I have a couple of Linda Hoyt's books, but don't recall seeing this idea.
    I'm glad you shared it!! I pinned it.
    Connie Anderson:)
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pumpkins are too funny in a very good way.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love doing Alphaboxes! Linda Hoyt is great! Super cute pumpkins too!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...