Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Word Work in KC

This is the second round of words for the Look, Say Cover Books. I have been using this strategy with a white board a lot during guided reading small group instruction time, and the kids love it. 


After we read a book, each child will write the word we are learning on a white board. 

We will talk about what we notice, write it, say it, name the letters, erase(cover), write and check. 

You can click here for the ten words for Look Say Cover Write Check
from, one, the, with, your, many, have, said, of, who, this

Word Family Houses

We are making these cute little word family houses.  We are always brainstorming; word chunks at shared reading time from poems and songs. 

I made some houses in the fall but didn't include pictures. I do a lot of the chunks over and over again because it benefits everyone.


Some students are just getting the idea oh if I spell cat and take off the c I can spell rat. Some of the students that are reading still need the reminder of looking at chunks in words.

 Making the Houses

I used little index cards and cut them in half. 

I wrote with a pencil on the back(the lined part). When the student tells me what they plan to draw, it goes on the back. 

It helped me so much to write the word on the back of the card so that I could figure out what the picture was. 

The chunks here may seem a little random because they are the recent chunk from song charts. 

This download has the six chunks below.









15 comments:

  1. These are so cute. I love how you have the kiddos illustrate their words. I wish my kiddos would draw like yours.


    Pocket Full of Kinders


    Ms. Patterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Patterson, Try them on small pieces of paper I think that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I didn't write this but they were super easy to do. The only tricky part of the houses was figuring out what words to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these houses thank you!! Do you have an editable version of the sight words? I would love to be able to put some of my words in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea!!! Do you have an editable version that I could use for specific word families for my Kinders???

    Ashley Baker
    ashley.baker@usd453.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this on Pinterest and thought it would be a fun activity for my Kindergarten kiddos. Then I saw that you have the same last name as me. Thanks for the great resources!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Love your blog and ideas about Daily 5 with the youngers ;)

    I am not able to download many of your links. Are you currently working on these? Left a note on your math and children's lit. post, too. Would love to hear back from you and thank you ever so much for sharing your ideas and work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melissa, I could not get them to download either. yvonneeyrg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I have a little group of Kindergarteners who are really ready for this activity! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I don't know how I missed these word family houses. These are ingenious! I have been having trouble dl'ing your fantastic word work ideas. I would really appreciate it if you could send these in particular my way. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do the kids make thier own houses and choose their word family?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The kids made the illustrations. The words would come out of shared reading or poetry books.
    I probably cut out the houses but it would be great to let the kids do it too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...