Thursday, February 9, 2012

Writing Workshop Painting Word Pictures

At writing this week the mini lesson focused on Painting Word Pictures.  We talked about how writers  use words to help readers visualize what is happening in the text. I told the group we would be writing a poem about winter. We started the lessons by pretending to be outside on the playground making images in our minds. I encouraged students to use their 5 senses. We shared with a partner and the large group too.

 I Knew It Was Winter
The students came to the rug and we brainstormed one noun to go after the number word 
On different days we went back and took a picture in our mind of what the snowballs were doing? We also added a "when", "where" or "how". This was tricky, we worked from the bottom up.
This mini lesson came from the book Marvelous Minilessons for Teaching Beginning Writers by Lori Jamison Rog.  I  modified her lesson to make it work for my class. I strongly recommend her book! My main focus was to get the students thinking about words that paint pictures. I think this would be a great lesson during Halloween time or for each month in your classroom. My students loved reading the final piece and  that is why we made it into a little book.  You can see below we made a Valentine one too!


On this page the group originally had floating in the store window and we talked about how putting a name of the store really gives the reader a better picture in their minds. 

I know with k's repetition is always a great thing! So, we took the same poem and created a Valentine Poem. We followed the same steps as before except this time, we are inserting adjectives and other descriptors in different parts. You can see the times we went back and added with different colors. I know in her book she encourages students to create their own version.
On Monday, I saw one Valentine Fairy with sparkling wings floating in the air shooting Cupid arrows. 







2 comments:

Tammy said...

Again, I love all your the writing your little ones do!

Tammy
www.foreverin1st.blogspot.com

BDL Palash said...

At the bottom of the post under the "Resources" heading
I listed that the sofas were from Plush Sofas (an Australian chain store).
Our living room is really tiny (it looks bigger in the photos!) so they are compact little two seaters.
We got them as floor stock so they were a great price.

Pictures to paintings
photos to paintings
photo to painting
picture to painting
painting from photo

Post a Comment