Thursday, February 2, 2012

Problem Solving little books and Posters

We have been working on problems and solutions this week. During Daily 5 time one optional activity was to create a problem solving picture book. I used 6 index cards and bound them together. I am thinking of having my class write problem solving stories, so I thought this would be a great lesson to see if the class may be interest in this kind of writing. They were allowed to make up parts of their story and the kids loved that.
The first page had to be the character, next setting, problem and solution. They could add pages too. You can see below an example from two student.

I love the action in the pictures and how the child made the sun screaming!! The main characters getting chased by snakes.




This story has to do with a mushroom video game.

The video person died...the child told me when your person dies it flips upside down.

He has not added to this page but I love how he knew to keep the setting the same.


We worked together in small groups retelling problem and solutions to Rosemary Wells books.

Retelling the story in your small group.  
 The groups used the pictures to retell the story. All of the books used have been read aloud to the class.  They had to decided what was important to include in their posters.
Working with your partners. I circled around checking in making sure everyone was taking part in the project. I asked questions and gave encouragement to groups that need to add things. The kids did a great job assigning roles and working together.
Our Beautiful Finished Work
Sharing With The Class
Each group made a presentation to the class. They love talking!!

1 comments:

Melissa said...

Found your blog a few weeks ago - LOVE IT!

Thanks for all the great ideas - they align almost perfectly to what I'm teaching in NC.

As an aside, I grew up in MA, so it's great to see such awesome ideas from back home :)

Post a Comment