Friday, January 6, 2012

Patterns Problems

I finished our math unit on Patterns. I created some pattern problems and an assessment sheet to use to help with report card grading.

I read the problem aloud and let the kids decide if they need help they could stay on the rug or get up and work independently. I have some sample of children work, and the download is below.

On this sheet, if they thought something was too difficult they could make an H and circle it.
I had a lot of students put H's in different spots. They could make a pattern if writing it was too difficult. Pattern Assessment I love doing word problems and think it is always interesting to see how a student solves a problem. The flower problem was easy to do but many students needed to double- check their answer. The group immediately started saying what color they thought it was, which made other kids go back and double check.
Flower Pattern Problem The Line Up Problem was the hardest. I was surprised at how many students wanted to try to solve it. They wanted to make a very detailed picture of people, which we talked about finding the quickest way to record.
The Lineup

2 comments:

  1. WOW! These are great! Thank you so much for sharing! =)

    Congrats on the award! I am your newest follower!

    I would love for you to come visit me when you get the chance! I have LOTS and LOTS of *freebeis*!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I also
    use the boy, girl line up strategy as a part of behavior management.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...