Saturday, January 12, 2013

Procedural Writing In KC



The unit of study, we have been focusing on, is Procedural Writing.

I recently purchased the Tony Stead and Linda Hoyt's writing book called Explorations in Nonfiction Writing grade K. This was an expensive book, but it also comes with a big book full of mentor text for the lessons.

 I love everything about this book. If you are looking for a way to meet the Common Core standards, this is the book for you!  A special thanks to my friend Genie, who encouraged me to buy this book! Thanks, Genie!


The beginning units focused on map making
(oops..straight!)



There were many different lessons leading up to the student making their final map. Some of the maps were class projects and some individual projects.  

I loved that these lessons involved lots of reading. The students had to double check, read to a friend go in the hallway and see if their map would lead them in the right directions. 

In the past, I would often start procedural writing with How To Stories and the kids often picked topics that they weren't necessarily going to try out right then and there. 


These map making lessons helped the students learn first hand about revision and editing.  The lessons were challenging. As a class, we walked the routes they were taking many times. 

What to Do At Dismissal Time? 

















5 comments:

  1. Your little writers always impress me. I love seeing what they're up to.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy reading your students' writing! They are learning so much!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm Lily. I think your blog is very professional and it looks great. I love it!!!
    heres a link to my blog
    http://ladylilly.edublogs.org/
    Lily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to check out that resource book. I have a couple books by Linda Hoyt that I really like. Thanks for sharing!
    Connie Anderson
    www.welcometofirstgraderoom5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...