Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Eric Carle



Last week we started learning about Eric Carle. I decided with this study; we would explore his books and find nonfiction books that connect to creatures related. I know it's not butterfly season, but I felt like I needed to read more non-fiction. 


It's easy to find so many connections to his books.


We started with The Very Hungry Caterpillar

The Very Hungry Caterpillar~Caterpillars and Butterflies
The Grouchy Ladybug~Ladybugs


We listed things we knew about butterflies or what we thought we knew.

We went  revised our Circle Map and I had the kids make illustrations.

Labeling a Butterfly

These are the non-fiction text features we talked about using this book. I hope to have the students make convention books after vacation.
This is my new favorite book!! I took this book out of the library without even reading it and was so surprised at how much I LOVE it!! So it leads nicely into making a Bubble Map.

The kids love moving to these words
We responded to the questions

My hungry caterpillar_____

They really incorporated things we learned from our non-fiction read aloud.
is waiting

grows

eats

is growing into a cocoon...which we talked about how that is not true!

is hatching

scary...we learned that caterpillars scare enemies


         We did a reading response to the Grouchy Lady Bug and we had an introduction to time.







eric carle    my hungry caterpillar The Grouchy Ladybug

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Just found your blog and I am SO glad I did. Everything you post is AMAZING! Love the photos, love the freebies! Thank you. :) I am your newest follower and I pinned a bunch of your stuff, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog as I was searching for "insect" ideas. WOW! I love everything I have seen and I am sooo in awe! Thank you for sharing your ideas! I am now an email follower!
    Suzanne Grisham (sgrisham@white.k12.ga.us)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, Thanks you for the wonderful comment! I hope you find something you can use in your class! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it all! I want to something similar and am wondering if you read the Eric Carle book first and then the nonfiction book about each insect or did you read all the E.C. books and then read all the nonfiction books?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...