Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Dr. Seuss Activities

I am on school vacation this week and have been trying to plan for the weeks ahead. Dr. Seuss's birthday is on Monday, so this post will share with you some of my favorite ideas to celebrate his birthday in the kindergarten classroom. 



1. At Literacy and Laughter, Amy had her students bring in their favorite Dr. Seuss book from home.
I think it is beautiful how she lines them up in her kid's cubbies.

2. Each year Brittney from Tied
Up with String, picks one book to celebrate Dr. Suess. In this post, she let each student bring in a show and tell item that was their 
favorite color. Can you guess what book her class was celebrating?

3. Michelle at Apples and ABC's does a great lesson about taking care of our world using the book The Lorax. I think this would be a great introduction to persuasive writing. Her students made little Lorax puppets to retell the story. I love the idea of making colorful truffle trees for a bulletin board too. I don't think you need a tree template... Let students make their trees in different shapes and sizes!

4. If you want to spend weeks on Dr. Seuss go to the blog,  A Place Called Kindergarten! Joelle shares a calendar that celebrates a different book each day. On If I Ran the Zoo day, the students bring in a favorite animal picture from home. When Joelle reads My Many Colored Day, she has students wear their favorite color to school.

5. April at Chalk Talk  shares, a classroom  slideshow of all of the Dr. Seuss adventures her classroom takes part in...this is what kindergarten is all about!!! I love how April takes part in all the dress up activities! 

6. In Joyful Learning In KC, I share some of the stations my students took part in on Dr. Seuss day! I think my favorite activity was creating the big book Cat in the Hat, Cat in the Hat What Do you See? My class loved making the creatures.

7. Laura at Lalymom created Seuss sticks for dominos and math manipulatives...For the kindergarten classroom, I think these popsicle sticks would make great spacers for writing workshop time! 


8. I love Shared Reading time and Kristen at Imagine. Inspire. Innovate. shares the perfect poem/book to put in your pocket chart called I Can Read
 I love that she used  A Seuss font; you can find it right here. Kristen gives you three different sizes to download (make sure you click on the box in the corner).  A follow-up to this lesson would be to have your class write a book called We Can Read______.

9. I think everyone loves the Dr. Seuss book ABC an Amazing Alphabet book. Did you know that you can sing this book to the tune of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? Kristen at Little Miss Glamour Goes to Kindergarten shares a Thinking Map in which she has each student make a page to this book. I love how beautiful her bulletin board looks! 

10. Deeanna at Golden Gang Kindergarten has lots of great math ideas to do with her class. I love to read all of her creative ideas. I can't wait to teach my class 10 Fish Addition. A nice follow-up to this game would be to have students create a math fish story problem.

11. Nicole at Mrs. Riccas Kindergarten has a great science lesson connected to the book Bartholomew and the Oobleck.   Making Oobleck would not be on my list of things to do, but I know little kids love it.  I think incorporating a sink and float activity into making Oobleck is a fantastic idea... I am doing this lesson next week!

12. The fish at Deep Space Sparkle are magnificent! Everything on Patty's Art blog is beautiful. 


13. Mrs. Karen's Preschool has lots of great ideas for the preschool classroom. I love that her students used different shades of the color in their Many Colored day pictures... the book Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger would be the perfect follow-up book! 



Here is a Thinglink of Dr. Seuss Videos and Songs
{Make sure you watch a video first before showing it to your class}



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...